The City of Philadelphia officially entered the field of air transportation in 1925 when it provided 125 acres of land (now part of the northeast corner of Philadelphia International Airport) for training aviators of the Pennsylvania National Guard.
In 1926, the City executed an agreement with Ludington Exhibition Company, the forerunner of Eastern Airlines, to operate the facility as the "Municipal Aviation Landing Field."
October 22, 1927 was an historic day for Philadelphia and its Airport as the Spirit of Saint Louis, piloted by Charles A. Lindbergh, touched down at Philadelphia Airport. The arrival in Philadelphia occurred during a tour of the United States following Lindbergh's historic solo flight from New York to Paris. During his visit, Lindbergh ceremoniously raised the American flag to dedicate what was then called Philadelphia Municipal Airport.