Travel Alert

‚ÄčThe SEPTA Airport Rail Line will be using shuttle bus service on weekends in August beginning Saturday-Sunday, August 5-6, between Philadelphia International Airport and 30th Street Station due to a track improvement project. Shuttle bus service will transport passengers between the Airport and 30th Street beginning at approximately 4:30AM on Saturdays through 12:30AM on Mondays. Bus schedules will be posted at platforms at Terminals A-East, B, C/D and E and can be downloaded at www.septa.org/airport. More information

Read more »
Close

Terminal E

April 24, 2006 - October 18, 2006

Philadelphia's Hog Island was the first shipyard built for the mass production of freighters as a result of the onset of World War I. In 1917, the United States established several government-owned shipyards to fulfill its wartime shipping needs-to get troops and supplies to Europe as quickly as possible. Contracts were signed over the next year and Hog Island Shipyard, the largest of three such facilities, was slated to build 180 ships-vessels that came to be known as Hog Islanders. To meet the hastened schedule, the process of shipbuilding had to be reinvented. Like a modern day assembly line, Hog Island was the first shipyard designed to build 50 ships simultaneously.

With groundbreaking ceremonies on September 22, 1917, Hog Island celebrated its first launch just 10 months later on August 5, 1918. With approximately 100,000 people in attendance, including President and Mrs. Woodrow Wilson, the ship known as Quistconck was ceremoniously christened, although it was not 100% complete. Unfortunately, the Quistconck was not fully seaworthy until after November 11, 1918, when the war officially ended.

Hog Island was said to be the "eighth wonder of the world," but throughout the entire development of the shipyard, it was plagued with enormous cost overruns and government investigations. Not one ship was delivered before the war ended. Over its 4-year lifespan, a total of 122 ships were built, with the last one delivered on January 22, 1921.

In 1930, the United States government transferred ownership of the 911 acres of Hog Island to the City of Philadelphia in order to develop Philadelphia Municipal Airport.