Founded in 1805 by renowned portrait painter and scientist Charles Willson Peale and sculptor William Rush, The Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts was the nation's first art museum and art school. Over its 200-year history, the Academy's museum has developed an international reputation for its permanent collection of 19th- and 20th-century American paintings, sculpture, and works on paper. In addition to its collection, the museum has presented over 1,000 exhibitions.
The school is also undergoing a significant transformation with the addition of the Samuel M.V. Hamilton Building (2004) that houses a second museum and additional studio facilities. Located next door to the Academy's historic Furness Building (1876), the juxtaposition of past and present provides an exciting foundation for its future.