PHL entered 2020 on a high, having welcomed a record number of passengers in 2019 and anticipating continued growth and the launch of new routes by airline partners in the new year. What a difference just a few months make.
“2019 was an outstanding year for our airport and the air travel industry,” said PHL CEO Chellie Cameron. “While the PHL team is working hard to overcome the challenges that have been presented to us as a result of COVID-19, we can still reflect on last year’s successes, which are highlighted in our recently published 2019 annual report, Gaining Altitude.
Some of PHL’s 2019 milestones included:
- Hitting an all-time high record for passenger volume, welcoming 33.02 million passengers in 2019 with a total traffic increase of 4.2%
- Increasing our air cargo volume by 9.4% to 607,500 tons—our second-highest cargo year ever
- Improving our economic impact on the Greater Philadelphia region to $16.8 billion, generating 106,000 jobs with average earnings of more than $51,000
- Bringing in six new domestic and four international destinations to our schedule, and welcoming Sun Country Airlines to our carriers
- Completing critical infrastructure improvements including the extension of Runway 27L and its associated taxiways
- Opening 19 new shops and restaurants
“We know that the coronavirus pandemic will impact the air travel industry for the next several years, but we can use our 2019 accomplishments to set our long-term goals,” said Cameron. “Right now, PHL’s priority is to serve those who must fly and be ready to welcome our passengers back when it is safe for everyone to fly again.”
To read Gaining Altitude and learn more about PHL’s record-setting 2019, click here.