Philadelphia International Airport (PHL) is gearing up for its busiest summer since 2019 — more than four million passengers are expected to depart from the airport this June through August. PHL’s estimated summer traffic is over 12 percent higher than 2022.
“We’re excited for summer 2023 at PHL,” said PHL Director of Marketing and Branding Megan O’Connell. “Our airline partners are offering a variety of new and relaunched routes, like Oakland, California, and Charleston, South Carolina, on Spirit Airlines, and Charlottesville, Virginia, and Daytona Beach, Florida, on American Airlines. We also have great new concessions, including Good Luck Pizza in Terminal E, and Everything Travel, powered by Amazon’s Just Walk Out Technology, in Terminal D. When Roam Fitness opens later this summer, we will have a full-service gym in Terminal F.”
Before heading to the airport, passengers are advised to do their homework and have a plan to make their travel day as smooth as possible.
“Guests will have more on-site parking availability at PHL in time for the busy Memorial Day weekend,” said O’Connell. “We are doubling capacity in the Economy Lot to 3,600 spaces.”
Guests can park in the Economy Lot for $15 per day and take a shuttle to and from check-in and baggage claim. Guests can also park in any PHL garage to directly connect to any airport terminal for a daily fee of $28.
Guests are reminded that they can also make reservations at several off-site parking facilities which provide shuttles to and from PHL. Click here for more information.
Guests are also encouraged to use SEPTA, rideshare, taxis or have friends or relatives drop them off and pick them up from the airport.
For the convenience of passengers, many airlines offer contactless and paperless check-in. Guests should visit their airline’s website for details. Guests should also consider downloading their airlines’ apps and registering for text and email updates for their flights.
TSA Security Checks
TSA advises all domestic flight passengers to arrive at the airport at least two hours before their boarding times (three hours for international flights) to not risk missing their flights.
In 2020, the TSA implemented new health and safety regulations, including allowing one 12-ounce container of liquid hand sanitizer per passenger and sanitizing wipes in carry-on bags. Details on the regulations and tips for being prepared for the screening process can be found here and via the free MyTSA app.
Some additional reminders for passengers:
- TSA PreCheck is available at Terminals A-East, C and D/E. Non PreCheck passengers may use all security checkpoints except for Terminal C. Hours of operation for all security checkpoints can be found here.
- Empty water bottles in the liquid recycling receptacles before entering security. PHL offers water bottle refill stations in all terminals once inside security checkpoints.
- Passengers can access all PHL terminals through any TSA checkpoint.
PHL Food & Shops
Once through security, guests will find more than 150 PHL Food & Shops food and retail concessions in all terminals open and ready to serve them. Information on open concessionaires and operating hours can be found here. Guests can also enjoy contactless ordering from select PHL Food & Shops merchants through OrderAtPHL.com.
Guests needing transportation after retrieving their luggage, should note the following:
- Ride App pick-up zones (Zone 7) are located on the South Commercial Road outside of each baggage claim area. Exit through the doors onto the S. Commercial Rd. and continue to follow signs for Ride App/Zone 7.
- Rental car agency shuttles pick-up from Zone 2 on Arrivals Road.
- Information on taxi, hotel and parking courtesy shuttle, limousine and charter bus pick-up can be found here.
- Platforms for SEPTA’s Airport Regional Rail Line and Bus Routes 37, 108 and 115 are also accessible from all baggage claims.
Drivers meeting arriving passengers should take advantage of PHL’s free Cell Phone Waiting Lot, conveniently located one minute from the baggage claim areas or park in the short term parking lots across from the baggage claims.